Food

March 19, 2015 Unknown 0 Comments


Today I'm going to note some food differences I've noticed since my arrival in Australia. Note that some of these may be exclusive to Melbourne.

The first is that condiments are not free. There is no mustard and ketchup dispenser by the napkins and straws. If you want ketchup, ask for tomato sauce. But be warned that it tastes quite different. They don't use quite as much yellow mustard on their burgers here as well, if they use it at all. I've been barely aware that there was mustard on my burger several times. There tends to be quite a bit of mayonnaise, though.

Some sit down restaurants (at least the few I have been to) have you pay for your meal at a cashier in the front of the restaurant. Basically similar to IHOP. I have yet to encounter a restaurant where the waiter handles the payment process, but I imagine it's utilised in fancier places. 

There is a lot of asian food. In many of the places I've been, there's more asian food around than anything else. There's also some asian marketplaces you can visit to do your grocery shopping, especially in and around Box Hill. Box Hill Central has a large asian marketplace catered toward the Chinese crowd with a variety of food shops clustered together. There are a few grocers in the city as well. 

The pizza is slightly different. There is no real pizza by the slice culture here. They also have a slightly more varied choice of condiments. For example, I would never in my life put barbecue sauce on top of a pizza, or ground meat, or mayonnaise. Adding a different cheese as a topping to your pizza can also mean adding literal chunks of cheese rather than shredded cheese. Be cautious in your expectations.

The candy is also slightly different because the main chocolate manufacturer isn't Hershey's. Although you can get your hands on Hershey's chocolate (particularly in USA import stores) and some of their products, there's very little around. The main chocolate company here is Cadbury. The most common chocolate bars you see on shelves are Cadbury, Mars bars, some form of a crunch bar, Snickers, and maybe some different flavours of kitkat. There are also Kinder products (yes, they have Kinder surprise eggs here) and Lindt products as prominent options. There are also Tim Tams, which are chocolate cookies that come in several flavour options, and a variety of other cookie snacks like Anzac biscuits available. I'll discuss sweets in further detail in another post because there's so much to discuss!

They have fast food and pseudo fast food places, for example KFC, McDonald's, Hungry Jacks (Burger King), Subway, Grill'd, Mr Burger, Bing Boy, Mr Kitchen, Rice Workshop, Sushi Sushi, Nando's, Little India, Burger Edge, the list goes on. Some of these are only located around Melbourne. Many of these fall in the pseudo category by having full sit down options alongside takeaway.

That's all I have for now! In my next food post, I'm going to focus on sweets and post some pictures as well. This will be pretty extensive considering the wider variety of foreign imports available here from Asia/SEA.
Enjoy your day/night/whatever time it is in your part of the world and thank you for reading! ❤️

0 Comments: