Things I Love: Aussie Lemonade
The third installment of Things I Love is about lemonade soda! Prior to coming to Australia in February, I had quit drinking soda for nearly a year. I was sick of coca cola and most sodas in America that tasted like straight up corn syrup. Before coming to Australia, it had been explained to me that lemonade is different. In America, lemonade is the equivalent of Aussie "lemon squash". It's squeezed fruit juice mixed with sugar and water. In Australia, when you ask for a lemonade you get a carbonated version of that. It quickly became my favourite soft drink to get at burger joints and fast food places. There's no real flavour equivalent of it in America so I have been without it for a couple months and I am craving it!
I tried to find something similar in an American supermarket, but as I mentioned earlier there's nothing to match the flavour. There are carbonated lemonades available, such as this Great Value soda I purchased from Walmart, but they taste god awful. For some reason, they taste biter and leave a nasty after taste. I suppose America hasn't quite caught up in the lemonade department.The only soda that comes close to Solo, Schweppes, or Lift would be Squirt. It's marketed as a citrus soda and has a lemon lime flavour with a heavier lemon leaning. It's still not an exact match, though!
If you have Solo, lemon Schweppes, or Lift in your country or a country you're visiting try it out! Or send me some. Y'know, I wouldn't mind. :p

0 Comments: