Things I Love: TIM TAMS

September 07, 2015 Unknown 0 Comments


A Plate of Tim Tams by Bilby
Yummm, who doesn't love tim tams? One of the very first Australian sweets I tried were dark chocolate tim tams that I picked up from a Coles along Burwood Highway. I had no idea what I was expecting. I had a couple people explain to me that they're just chocolate covered biscuits. But let's be honest, that description doesn't do them any justice. They're amazing. There's no American equivalent to tim tams so I cannot offer a comparison but I can do my best to describe it. Imagine two flaky, sweet chocolate cookies with a smooth chocolate cream filling dunked in chocolate. That's a tim tam. They're very rich and in my opinion quite sweet! They're owned by Arnott's and originally launched in 1963. They're widely considered the most popular cookie in Australia and a national icon.

They come in a variety of flavours that you can pick up at any local supermarket in Australia. Some of these include caramel, dark chocolate, double coated, white chocolate, coconut, dark chocolate mint, peanut butter, and chocolate raspberry. The limited edition flavours, such as coconut and raspberry, appear to launch quite frequently and can be found in any supermarket. They also launch a variety of types, like bite sized tim tams! That may be for the best, once you eat one tim tam from the box you just have to keep snacking on the rest.

N2 Extreme Gelato with Tim Tam toppings
 One of my favourite things about tim tams is that there's a bunch of sweets made from them. My personal favourite would be tim tam flavoured ice cream/gelato. The first tim tam gelato I tried was from Calatrava Coffe & Gelati at the Crown Casino. The second was from N2 Extreme Gelato. It's not as sweet as eating it straight from the box but offers a yummy mix. There are also milkshakes, mouses, brownies, frappes, cakes, tarts, pavlovas, pies, cupcakes, and basically any other dessert you can imagine with tim tam varieties in Australia. And they are all very tasty. If you get the chance, try some of them out!

The last tim tam related topic to mention is the tim tam slam. You bite both ends of a tim tam and use it as a straw for your coffee or tea. I'll leave this post of a video of a couple girls trying it out at a cafe in Sydney. Enjoy. :)


0 Comments: