Easter
![]() |
| Pictured: Cupcakes and Cadbury chocolate eggs. |
I noticed that Australia has a much more relaxed atmosphere when it comes to taking off time to recognize public holidays. In the states it seems that the only guaranteed day you'll have off is Christmas. Even then, if you're a lower income worker in retail you might still have to work! It became quite apparent to me that America has a huge emphasis on working and productivity at the cost of spending time with family, yourself, and relaxation. Although it did feel inconvenient that I couldn't do much over Easter weekend, my first beak period of University in Australia, I did recognize that this was for the benefit of others and the community.
Another Easter trend I found important in Australia is having hot cross buns. I had never had them before coming there, but a friend had told me that it's a tradition to eat them around this time of year. I decided that if I was going to have one I might as well try one of the best so I bought mine from Phillipa's in Melbourne's CBD. I'd describe the taste as being very similar to a loaf of raisin bread but with a hint of citrus. Of course I didn't learn until much later that you're actually supposed to put butter on them, much like raisin bread... whoops!
Despite the differences, you'll note that Cadbury eggs are still very prevalent in both countries at this time of the year. Have a happy Easter!


0 Comments: