An Introduction
I will be the first of my family to step foot in the Southern Hemisphere and Australia. Although it wasn't supposed to be that way. My grandfather had fled his country of Hungary during the Russian invasion and 1956 Hungarian Revolution over half a century ago. At the time, he was only a teenager. He crossed over the Andau bridge into Austria like thousands of others and gathered up all the documentation necessary to leave Europe and become a resident in Australia. The government offered his family assistance to settle there through their displaced persons program. His family likely would have settled in outer Victoria due to the weather being quite similar to their home country and the land being suitable for them to rebuild their vineyard and tavern. He would be an Australian citizen right now if not for his cousin in America offering to pay for his college. Funnily enough, his cousin wasn't anywhere to be found when he arrived in New York.So now, long over due, I will be the first Édes in Australia. (For now, temporarily) I had even wanted to go long before my grandfather had shared this story with me. I suppose things have a strange way of going about! Perhaps it's meant to be, perhaps not. We shall see.

0 Comments: