What I'm Looking Forward To in 2015

January 01, 2015 Unknown 0 Comments


Hello! The new year is here and I'm excited to be able to spend 3/4ths of 2015 on the other side of the planet. (It still feels weird to think that) Here are some of the things I'm looking forward to doing and seeing next year.

My first international flight
I've never flown internationally before, nor have I been on a trip that lasted over 9 hours. I'm nervous but very excited to have the experience of flying by myself for the first time and stepping outside the U.S. for a change!

Federation Square
I know this may seem underwhelming to some locals, but the whole area surrounding Fed Square looks really interesting and fun to explore to me. There isn't really any architecture in Chicago quite like the postmodern-esque designs in Melbourne either. It's just fun to look at.

The parks and gardens of Melbourne
As an American coming with the perspective on cities being densely populated by tall buildings and crammed city skylines with greenery far and few inbetween, Melbourne truly looks like a garden city. The parks and gardens look like they would be nice to experience as the seasons change, maybe take a few walks in by yourself on a quiet day.

Food :)
Hehe... let's just say that there are different food opportunities and adventures to be had in Melbourne as opposed to Chicago. Despite the fact that they both have a lot of Italian influence, their other cultural influences are quite different. I doubt I could go down to the MCG and get a polish sausage.

Learning from a different perspective
Remember I am going to be traveling first and foremost to learn. Although both America and Australia are western countries and have a lot of European influences, their individual perspectives on art and their own art movements will be different. I would also like to do some personal studies on Aboriginal art as well. Any and all differing approaches to art will only help me.

And lastly, meeting old and new friends!
Have a happy new year everyone.

0 Comments: