Application and Update

September 21, 2015 Unknown 0 Comments


Hello all! Some things have changed since I last updated this blog about my plans. The first of which is the school that I will be applying for to obtain my masters degree as well as the program I'll be participating in. Although I really, really wanted to go to RMIT to study design for a variety of reasons I had to change my plans and instead apply for Monash University. It isn't an ideal situation, however I do like many parts of this change.

Rather than a masters degree in communication design, I'll be going for a masters in multimedia design. This is the area of design that I'm weakest in as I have little to no professional training in it. I have experience with adobe illustrator, photoshop, and even indesign. My training as an illustrator, and thinking about illustration as a multidisciplinary practice, allows me to be able to practice most areas of design with ease. However areas that I don't know about such as web design, 3D modeling, motion graphics, digital brand campaigns, and so on are all covered in Monash's multimedia design program. Rather than learning about things I already know or can further practice on my own, it is far more beneficial to study my weak areas. A more diverse portfolio can be produced in this way.

The multimedia design program is at the Caulfield campus, which is an inner eastern suburb of Melbourne near Elsternwick and Malvern. One of my requirements in my search for a program was that it was fairly close to Melbourne. Unfortunately, while I was in town I never had the chance to check out Monash's campuses so I don't know the real look or feel of the Caulfield campus or the suburb. I do know that the suburb has a horse racing track that hosts a lot of famous events. There's also a bubble cup not too far from campus... a very dangerous place to be for my wallet. Outside of those things, I don't know much about Caulfield. It'll be exciting to explore another totally new area of Melbourne if I get back. I love the way Australian suburbs are set up, so I'm sure it'll be a charming experience.

Monash's application process is quite different from RMIT. For starters, the masters program for multimedia design is fairly open ended, meaning that you don't need to have a design background to study it. This also means that there is no portfolio required to apply. Only transcripts and a general application with personal details is required. This also means that I can, and will be, sending in my application this month! As far as I've been informed, I meet all requirements necessary to be accepted into this program. I hope I am accepted, wish me luck!

0 Comments: