Things I Love: Bakeries
I loved the bakery chains around the city! I had been to a higher end bakery before to try out hot cross buns, but my favourites to frequent were Breadtop and BonBons. I'd grab the melon bread, sausage rolls, or maybe a doughnut. When I lived around Box Hill, I would grab a sausage roll before heading to the city for a snack from BonBons. Bakery chains were my favourite place to buy something to eat quickly over fast food.
Breadtop is an Asian bakery chain so there's a wider selection of items like mochi, red bean paste fillings, sesame doughnuts. My personal favourite items to grab from Breadtop are melon bread, chocolate horns, and any of their sponge cakes. They have a selection of cakes and mouses as well as bottled beverages. All of their items are pretty good, though so I recommend them!
BonBons is both a western and Asian style bakery. Their model revolves around a fusion of eastern and western as well as serving coffee. Like Breadtop, BonBons has a lot of foods that are savory as well as sweet. My personal favourites were the sausage rolls, doughnuts, and pineapple buns. They also have various cake designs you can order to have made fresh for you and bottled beverages besides their coffee. I haven't tried their coffee so I cannot vouch for it, but they have a selection of both iced and hot coffees available depending on the location.
The other bakery I visited was Phillippa's to try hot cross buns. Unfortunately I visited as it was closing so I didn't get much of a chance to browse. This bakery is definitely considered on the higher end compared to BonBons and Breadtop. It is pricier, so keep that in mind. However, it offers a selection of whole loaf breads and other western style breads that you wouldn't be able to find in the other chains. I found that with most of the items the quality wasn't significantly higher compared to the others, but it is definitely worth a try for their hot cross buns.
0 Comments: