Things I Love: Architecture
Melbourne's architecture is among some of my favourite. The city is growing rapidly in the next 30 years, which also means that there's going to be an explosion of new buildings to accommodate the growing population. A lot of the architecture is post modern and very unique. I adore those sort of designs because it makes a city look fresh compared to the dull, bleak, and monotonous look of so many modern designs. Melbourne also has an interesting amount of Victorian buildings from its younger years, which means you'll often see a very post modern apartment complex next to an old Victorian strip mall. It's funny in a way, but also very Melbourne.
One of my part time hobbies is following the city planning and architectural development of Melbourne and its suburbs. It gives you an idea of how much the city will morph and how the dynamics will change as the years go on. There's a lot of fantastic ideas and discussion around how the city can best accommodate is growing population. One of the things that I personally advocate for is the importance of public transportation and decongestion of the CBD through more efficient transport. I suggest reading a blog like urban.melbourne if you're interested in seeing more.
This video showcases a lot of famous Melbourne landmarks and architectural sites as of 2015. It's also in 4k HD, so I suggest viewing it in its intended quality and at full screen.

0 Comments: