Adventures: Docklands

March 09, 2016 Unknown 0 Comments



I heard pretty much only bad things about Docklands from locals and general PR spiels about how great Docklands is going to be. I was curious and lived nearby so I decided to go on a little adventure and walk. I lived close to Southern Cross so I walked over there and crossed the bridge to check it out. You pass through the little court in front of Etihad Stadium when you take this route, and I was a little curious about it so I didn't mind going this way. It was super empty. There was no one around in any of the shops and restaurants. It seemed like this place would only be lively if there was a game or concert. It was interesting because Southern Cross and South Wharf, which are absolutely packed, was right next door and it looked it was a ghost town. It only seemed to get more empty as I continued to go to the docks.

The nice thing about Docklands, is that the architecture in the area is interesting. I personally think it's really pretty, particularly the purple apartment complexes! But once again, there's no one there. I kept walking and eventually ended up at Harbour Town and the Melbourne Star. Once again (..again) there was practically no one there. There were TONS of shops here, too. It was a shame. Because it was an outdoor shopping mall, I would assume that there'd be more people during the summer but I didn't really know. From the way everyone speaks about the place it sounded like it would be dead all year round. It's not that there's necessarily nothing to do, there's the same general shopping options available at Harbour Town that's available in the CBD shopping malls with the bonus of the Melbourne Star, it's just that it's so far removed from where the population centre congregates that people just don't go there.

 I decided I'd do a bit of window shopping, buy a smoothie, and take the tram back after a while. I took a scenic walk and was satisfied with it, it just felt like a waste that no one was there.

0 Comments: